skip navigation

1-9-2019 Board Meeting Minutes

By Nikki Gilbertson, 02/18/19, 3:45PM CST



Minneapolis Youth Lacrosse

Board Agenda
1-9-2019 @ 6:30 p.m. at Homegrown Lacrosse

Minneapolis Youth Lacrosse Board

Board Member Position Attendance Board Member Position Attendance

Volunteers / Guests

Name Position Attendance Name Position Attendance

Called to Order




Next Meeting

2-13-2019 @ 6:00 p.m. Homegrown

Members present: Nikki Gilbertson, Eric Elgin, Duane Sizemore, Melanie Faulhaber, Ashlee Miller, John Neal (via conference call) 

Other Attendees: Angela Slaughter, Allen Slaughter, Molly Myers

Meeting called to order 6:41 pm.

Secretary: Notes from the January meetings were reviewed.  Elgin moved to approve.  Miller seconded.  A vote was taken and the motion passed. 

Governance:Elgin moved to have Nicholas Lucca as the Boys Recruitment Coordinator and Molly Myers as the Girls Recruitment Coordinator (both are current Minneapolis Lacrosse coaches).  Gilbertson seconded.  A vote was taken and the motion passed.Elgin moved to have Allen and Angela Slaughter share the role of Treasurer.   Gilbertson seconded.  A vote was taken and the motion passed.  Elgin will reach out to Staven Bruce to discuss the Boys 12U Coordinator role.  Neal will reach out to other potential leads for open Coordinator roles.  Elgin reminded the group that he would like each board member to create a description of their role, goals for for the year, and a list of the people that should be on committees that each board member may lead.

Treasurer:  Elgin and the Slaughters will create a new budget for the 2019 season based on past budget information.  Elgin will set up a meeting with the Slaughters, Charlotte Lieb, and Michal Pink to transition the role and update the budget. It is expected that we will spend about $700 on the upcoming Trylax events, and additional funds will not be needed unless it is deemed necessary to hold additional events.

Parent Meetings: Faulhaber suggested that the parent meeting should be held in a facility that would allow us to view and demonstrate the website to parents.  Team managers should also hold a meeting with parents at the beginning of the season to introduce coaches, explain expectations, talk about volunteer requirements, etc.  

Recruitment:  The flyers are being printed now and will be distributed at the schools next week.  The TryLax events will be February 1st  (6:00 – 7:30 at MCTC) and February10th(11:30 – 12:30 at Academy of Holy Angels).  An email will go to all of the parents of current players to recruit new kids and suggest that they attend the events.  Elgin will also provide a blurb that board members and parents can add to NextDoor and Facebook. Andrea Siegel has received some quotes on communicating Trylax event in local publications and Facebook.  Coaches for the event will be coordinated by Aron Lipkin, and Miller and Myers will also plan to attend the events.  Myers will start to post recruiting flyers at local community centers, coffee shops, etc.  Angela Slaughter suggested doing a recruiting drawing:  If a parent refers a kid to the program and they register, the parent is entered in to a drawing for a prize.  Elgin will see if Rob Bedeaux can add a box on registration where a person can enter that they are new and who recruited them.

Vice President of Lacrosse:  Neal did an investigation relating to team costs in the leagues Minneapolis Lacrosse participates in, and there are no substantial changes from last year. The group therefore decided to keep team fees the same for the 10U – 14U levels, but lower the 8U fees to $100 since the do not play in league games. 

Volunteer:  Faulhaber said that about eleven families will need to be contacted to provide us with their updated credit card for volunteer hours that were not completed for the 2018 season.  A canned email will go out first, and then personal emails will be sent if they do not respond.  The group discussed that it would be helpful to eliminate the need to show claimed Dibs as completed.  It’s an extra step that is confusing for parents.  Faulhaber would like to give parents one Dib hour for every two schools they deliver flyers to.  

Equipment:Miller noted that 10U girls may need goalie equipment, as what is available may be too large.  Sizemore noted that the boys will also need the goalie equipment.  

Registration:Bedeaux is in the process of creating the registration module. Gilbertson asked that parent board members register their kids before it goes live to ensure that there are no glitches.

Fields:  Sizemore said that field permits need to be submitted by February 1st.   Miller requested that if Elliot Park is used for Girls games, that the Park Board line it appropriately.

Fundraising:Elgin noted that Steve Deveraux is working on grant follow up. Elgin has also forwarded contacts for companies that may donate money.  He has asked Deveraux and Eric Johnson to work on forming a committee of parents to look in to additional fundraising options.

Girls Program:  Miller relayed that she is reaching out to coaches to find out who is returning and whether or not there is a need for her to recruit additional coaches.  MSLax registration is open.  MSLax did an 8U pilot program last year in May – June and plan do it again this season.  Communication on the program will go out to families as soon as details are solidified. 

Gilbertson moved to adjourn. Andrea Slaughter seconded.  Meeting adjourned 7:55 pm.

Next meeting: Thursday, February 14th, 2019 at 6:00 at the Community Gathering Space in Bryn Mawr.