skip navigation

12-11-2018 Board Meeting Minutes

By Nikki Gilbertson, 01/10/19, 3:15PM CST



Minneapolis Youth Lacrosse

Board Agenda
December 11, 2018 @ 7:00 p.m. Mosquito, Inc.

Minneapolis Youth Lacrosse Board

Board Member Position Attendance Board Member Position Attendance

Volunteers / Guests

Name Position Attendance Name Position Attendance

Called to Order




Next Meeting

January 9, 2019 @ 6:30 p.m. - Homegrown

Members present: Nikki Gilbertson, Eric Elgin, John Neal, Michael Pink, Rob Bedeaux, Ashlee Miller, Melanie Faulhaber, Charles Johnson-Nixon, Chris Miller

Other Attendees: Jing Peng, John Neal, Aron Lipkin

Meeting called to order 7:11 pm.

Secretary: Notes from the November meetings were reviewed.  Bedeaux moved to approve.  Pink seconded.  A vote was taken and the motion passed.  A reminder that future meetings will be held on the second Thursday of each month from 6:00 – 8:00 at the Community Gathering Space at 400 Cedar Lake Rd S.  

Governance:There are three options for treasurer (Nick Luca, Guertins, and Slaughter).  The group would like to try to get a parent volunteer in the role.  Elgin will reach out.    Pink made a motion to nominate the following people in the board roles: President (Elgin), VP of Admin (Johnson-Nixon), Communications (Bedeaux), VP of Lacrosse (Neal), Fundraising (Devereux), Field & Scheduling Coordinator (Duane Sizemore).  Gilbertson seconded.  A vote was taken and the motion passed. The treasurer and level coordinator positions need to be filled.  Miller will have a follow up conversation with Rebekah Forrest to ensure she is returning as a coordinator.  

Goals for 2019:  Elgin would like the board to focus on growing the number of kids that are playing, growing the 8U level, getting more girls to play, beefing up communication/marketing through social media and other communication avenues, and fundraising. Peng suggested scheduling more Try-lax events.  Lipkin asked that the board work to achieve having an A and B team at every level. Pink would like there to be a push to build the board committees to get more people involved, which would in turn could increase the number of parents who are recruiting.  Lipkin would also like to see fall programming in place for another option for player involvement.  Elgin would also like to pursue getting more kids involved from the native community and the North Minneapolis neighborhoods.  Lipkin would also like to see ten sponsors to the association, and Pink added that a new uniform sponsor should be sought, as the current one has not needed to re-up their sponsorship fees.

Meeting Structure:  The expectation is that board members attend as many meetings as possible, and that board members should send an email with their update to the group if they can’t make it.  Peng suggested that members could provide their updates via Google Docs.  

Recruiting Email:  In future recruiting communications, a blurb should be included about our 501 (c) 3 status in case parents want to donate before the end of 2018.

Registration:  Bedeaux would like to focus on what the board needs to have in place for 2019 registration so he can have at least two weeks of lead time for creating the module.  Elgin will contact Lieb to find out where we are financially to help set fees for the upcoming season.  The hope is to set fees the same as 2018 (fees varied by boys vs. girls, 8U had a lower price point).   Elgin will check to make sure league fees, tournament fees, and field costs are remaining the same.  Gilbertson pointed out that there is a need to differentiate between Spring vs. Box leagues for boys.  Lipkin suggested positioning that box practice should focus on box skills and the field practices should be on a different night.  The hope is that registration information should get to Bedeaux before Christmas and system testing should start in early January.  

Fundraising:No report

Recruitment: C. Miller will walk Faulhaber through the recruiting flyer process for Minneapolis Public schools this week (with the goal of getting them in the schools the week of January 7th).  The Trylax and clinics are available to be held late January/early February (Friday night), and one on February 10that Holy Angels.  Neal noted that it will be important that proper signage be in place for any events at MCTC, as it’s hard to get in the building.  Lipkin suggested that a recruitment survey be sent to families to ask what ideas they have for getting more kids in the program.

Elgin moved to adjourn. Gilbertson seconded.  Meeting adjourned 8:30 pm.