skip navigation

11-13-18 Board Meeting Minutes

By Nikki Gilbertson, 12/17/18, 8:45AM CST


Minneapolis Youth Lacrosse

Board Agenda
November 13, 2018 @ 7:00 p.m. Homegrown Lacrosse

Minneapolis Youth Lacrosse Board

Board Member Position Attendance Board Member Position Attendance

Volunteers / Guests

Name Position Attendance Name Position Attendance

Called to Order




Next Meeting

December 11, 2018 @ 7:00 p.m. Mosquito, inc.

13 November 2018– Homegrown Lacrosse (3125 Hennepin Ave S)

Members present: Nikki Gilbertson, Eric Elgin, Melanie Faulhaber, Rob Bedeaux, Amy Neal, Chris Miller, Charlotte Lieb, Charles Johnson-Nixon

Other Attendees:  Duane Sizemore, Jing Peng, John Neal, Aron Lipkin

Meeting called to order 7:10 pm.

Secretary: Notes from the September and October meetings were reviewed. Faulhaber moved to approve.  Bedeaux seconded.  A vote was taken and the motion passed.  Meetings in 2019 will move to the second Thursday of each month from 6:00 – 8:00 at the Community Gathering Space at 400 Cedar Lake Rd S.

Code of Conduct:  Elgin has made some updates for Codes of Conduct for players, parents and coaches. He will email the information to the board to solicit feedback.  The plan is to include a coach training to introduce this to the coaches.  Parents will be introduced to it at the Parent Meeting in March.

Governance:Miller would like to make sure that board members are responding to emails in a timely email.  There is still a need for level coordinators and a treasurer for open board roles.

Fundraising:No report

Recruitment:Miller reminded the group that the recruiting flyer needs to be developed.  Elgin, Ping, and Lipkin have met to discuss recruitment.  They were unable to meet with the MPS gym teachers at their last meeting.  Lipkin is working on some Trylax days at MCTC.  Homegrown had a partnership with the MPRB last summer to promote lacrosse, and Lipkin will look into continuing that again in 2019.  A. Neal noted that Lynnhurst would be good place to start a partnership due to their past involvement with lacrosse programs.  Faulhaber also suggested working with afterschool care programs with Minneapolis Public Schools and Rec Plus through the MPRB. Gilbertson to get Kari Hainey’s contact information to Elgin to see if there can be an event to introduce lacrosse to Mite/U8 hockey players. 

On Field: Miller reported that there has been a change for how fields are ordered at Northeast.  Miller is concerned that there may not be enough boys for a single 14U boys team, depending on how many kids choose to play high school.   Miller will be giving Sizemore details on planning for next season.  Miller asked Lipkin if there would be an opportunity for Box kids to use the MCTC gym space prior to the box season starting.

Teams:  Miller noted that Edina has reached out to request that scrimmages be scheduled between our two programs in May.  He will ask to see if this is meant as an invitation to both boys and girls teams.  Elgin will be working with Ashlee Miller and J. Neal to talk about coaching and coordinator needs for 2019.  

Communication:  Bedeaux stressed that pricing, levels, and content for the registration pages are solidified prior to registration going live in January.  Bedeaux will set up consistent emails for core board positions that will stay with the role when people transition out of their jobs.

Treasurer:Lieb asked if there may be some surprise fees from co-op teams for MSLax charges. Miller doesn’t think that we will be charged for those. In 2017, we received a $16,000 bill from the MPRB, but only $6,000 in 2018.  Lieb will check on discrepancies, but some of the difference was paying for leftover 2016 fees.  There is about $17,000 in the checking account, which doesn’t include the volunteer payments.  Lieb will ensure that the TADS contract is signed and that Quicken is set up before she leaves her position. Elgin noted that Michael Pink is working on leads for a new treasurer.  

Volunteer:Faulhaber has emailed the parents that were to be billed for missing volunteer hours.  Only one question arose concerning a family who claims they did Dibs, but they only claimed three hours.  They will be billed for two seasons unless they claim hours that they did. A couple of other families responded that their kids did not play, and therefore they will not be charged. Roughly 27 families will be charged on December 31stfor 2018 ($100/season).  Faulhaber will be looking for a person to shadow her for the upcoming season.

Equipment:  Johnson-Nixon reported that all equipment has been stored at Dan Murphy’s.  There will be a need for new net strings, two more flexible creases, and a storage box. He also suggested that scoreboards be purchased.  Two and half cases of girls’ balls are on hand, but there is not a supply of balls for the boys’ teams.  There is a definite need for a person to manage an equipment swap.  Emily Wolfe with the MPRB is working on a grant to get lacrosse goals at Northeast.  

Fundraising:  Elgin will be meeting with Steve Devereux for an update.  

Elgin moved to adjourn. Gilbertson seconded.  Meeting adjourned 8:13 pm.