skip navigation

9-11-2018 Board Meeting Minutes

By Nikki Gilbertson, 11/16/18, 4:30PM CST


Minneapolis Youth Lacrosse

Board Agenda
9-11-2018 @ 7:00 p.m. Mosquito, Inc

Minneapolis Youth Lacrosse Board

Board Member Position Attendance Board Member Position Attendance

Volunteers / Guests

Name Position Attendance Name Position Attendance

Called to Order




Next Meeting

October 9, 2018 @ 7:00 p.m. Mosquito, Inc.

Members present: Nikki Gilbertson, Michael Pink, Stephen Devereux, Rob Bedeaux, Charlotte Lieb, Amy Neal, Chris Miller, Melanie Faulhaber, Eric Elgin (via phone), Ashlee Miller

Other Attendees:  John Neal, Jing Peng (pending Girls High School coach), Aron Lipkin

Meeting called to order 7:10 pm.

Secretary:  Notes from the July meeting were reviewed. Pink moved to approve the minutes. Bedeaux seconded.  A vote was taken and the motion passed. Gilbertson reminded the group that job descriptions are still needed for all roles that will be vacated at the end of the year. Gilbertson will send out the Whistleblower and Conflict of Interest forms in December for board members to complete.  The Team Manager handbook is in progress by parent Anna Kruse.  The draft document will be reviewed by the level coordinators for updates and edits.  Because of impending changes to the people on the board, Gilbertson will be survey the new members to get feedback on meeting time, date, and venue changes.

Governance: Pink addressed that there are several key items that need to be completed prior to the end of the year to ensure projects are completed before the board transition.  This includes Pink, Lieb, and Miller leaving their positions.  Elgin is interested in filling the president’s role.  John Neal has offered to fill the VP of Lacrosse. Allen Slaughter has offered to be on the board, perhaps as the 10U Coordinator.   The treasurer role still needs to be filled, and Pink will follow up.  Molly Myers, currently a coach for our girls’ program, has volunteered to play a role on the board.  While it is a conflict of interest for her to participate based on our charter, the conflict can be overruled by the board and she can recuse herself from voting on coach stipends.  Pink will also reach out to Staven Bruce, in addition to the other potential board members to finalize interest.  Boys’ coach Duane Sizemore may be an option for the Fields Manager role.

Fundraising: Gilbertson will have Devereux work with Mary Kelly on the fundraising dinners that she has been researching.

Recruitment: Elgin noted that a subcommittee meeting for recruiting has met and they have a gameplan on what to do over the next six months.  They will continue to meet monthly.  The Washburn Games will be held on September 23 in the Bryn Mawr area, where up to 500 kids (age 5 – 11) will be trying out new sports, including lacrosse.  About 500 flyers should be available for the event.  Bedeaux can get the file to Lipkin to see if they can be created prior to the 23rd.  It may be a good idea for a couple of our youth players to attend the event in uniform.    January/February Try-lax events will be planned.

On Field: Elgin updated that the Code of Conduct is in rough draft form.  He will forward that draft to the board.

Treasurer: In order to regain 501(c)3 status, MAYLA needs to potentially provide tax returns back to 2010. Pink will contact the IRS for a status update.  A CPA in the organization needs to be identified that could review the data to address any IRS concerns.  Lieb reported that there is a $14,500 positive balance, which reflects the overdue fees to Homegrown.  At the end of the calendar year, we will be up to date on fees owed to all partners.  There is one parent that owes partial registration fees for the past season.  TADS will be utilized for the 2019 season.  If coaches would like to be reimbursed for their USA Lacrosse membership fees, it should be covered by MAYLA provided that a reimbursement form is filled out.  Faulhaber suggested buying tents for each team for next season with excess budget money.

High School:  Lipkin suggested that both the boys and girls high school coaches should be non-voting members of the board going forward.  Gilbertson will add them to the distribution list.  Lipkin said that MCTC space can be rented January, February, and March, and hopefully he can get some Trylax events scheduled on Saturdays during that time.  High school players could be recruited to help run the events.

Volunteer: Faulhaber provided a list of players and the volunteer hours that were submitted for each.  An email needs to be sent to all families that have not yet fulfilled their requirements to remind them to claim their Dibs by a certain date or their deposit will be cashed on December 31.  Faulhaber will continue to have future Dibs opportunities loaded via Excel through additional volunteer positions.

Equipment:  Miller noted that Charles Nixon-Johnson will oversee gathering the field equipment that needs to be stored in Dan Murphy’s warehouse.  Faulhaber suggested having parents bring outgrown player equipment to the March parent meeting for a swap.  A volunteer will need to be recruited to oversee the project.

Pink moved to adjourn. Gilbertson seconded.  Meeting adjourned 8:28 pm.

Next meeting: Tuesday, October 9, 2018 at 7:00 at Mosquito, Inc.