skip navigation

5-8-18 Board Meeting Minutes

By Nikki Gilbertson, 06/14/18, 2:15PM CDT



Minneapolis Youth Lacrosse

Board Agenda
May 5, 2018 @ 7:00 p.m. Mosquito, Inc.

Minneapolis Youth Lacrosse Board

Board Member Position Attendance Board Member Position Attendance

Volunteers / Guests

Name Position Attendance Name Position Attendance

Called to Order




Next Meeting

June 12, 2018 @ 7:00 p.m. Mosquito, inc

Members present: Nikki Gilbertson, Michael Pink, Eric Johnson, Charles Johnson-Nixon, Rob Bedeaux, Amy Neal, Melanie Faulhaber, Chris Miller, Eric Elgin, Charlotte Lieb, Ashlee Miller

Meeting called to order 7:10 pm.

Secretary:  Notes from the April meeting were reviewed. Pink moved to approve the minutes. Johnson seconded.  A vote was taken and the motion passed. 

Governance: Pink verified that Steve Devereux will be contacting the families who have unpaid volunteer fees from the 2017 season to ensure payment has is received. 

Fundraising: Pink reported that a volunteer parent, Andrew Rosen, has been found to call all of the sponsors from last year to see if they would like to renew their sponsorships for the shooter shirts.  Rosen will be asked to work with Karen Mulligan to provide her sponsor information so that the shirts can be created. 

Recruitment: C. Miller made a motion that six Dibs hours be given to families who recruit girls who have never participated in Minneapolis Youth Lacrosse to play for the 2018 Summer season.  Bedeaux seconded.  A vote was taken and the motion passed.  Elgin has been working with Aron Lipkin, who will be helping to run lacrosse clinics at Minneapolis Parks over the summer.  Elgin would like to help get coaches to help out at the events.  Elgin would like to make sure that the kids who participate in these events have some sort of take away that will drive them to the site for registering next season. 

On Field:  A. Miller said that there are enough girls to play at the 14U for the summer league, but there are very few girls registered at the 12U and 10U levels.  Girls that play for the Breck/Blake coop are welcome to play for Minneapolis for the summer, regardless of if they live in Minneapolis.  A. Miller would like to have 15 players for each team to ensure there are enough players to schedule games.  The 12U/10U players could be combined as one team for the summer, as a last resort.  The 14U Girls team will be playing in the summer tournament.  C. Miller stated that the 12U and 10U can participate, too, as they have already paid for the tournaments.  C. Miller noted that a coach replacement is being sought from Homegrown.  Neal requested that True coaches not recruit players directly, both because it can pull kids away from our program and puts the player in an awkward position if the family does not want to play in two leagues for any reason.  C. Miller will have a conversation with the True coaches to ensure that they don’t recruit on the field.

Marketing:  No report.

Treasurer: Lieb will work with Bedeaux to find a report that can help pull numbers that can be used for financial reports.  As of today, it looks like the season is helping the association break even to date with the budget.  Financial numbers don’t count donations, spiritwear, or potentials sponsors.  Lieb will send the association EIN number to the board in case there are employers who are willing to donate to the association. 

Executive: No report.

Volunteer:  Gilbertson will contact Mary Kelly about needs for the role of the Team Manager Coordinator.  Gilbertson will contact the Kruse family to see if they would be willing to set up fundraising dinners at neighborhood restaurants.  For the future, a Dibs positions should not be posted as open, unless it’s for a game job, picnic help, etc.  This will ensure that parents are signing up for a job and then not following through to complete the work.  Johnson-Nixon suggested that for future registration modules, we should ask parents what skills they have so that we can contact them to fill specific roles.  A Survey Monkey would also be a good way to gather this information without waiting for 2019 registration.  An idea for next season was floated on if it’s a possibility to waive a portion of someone’s Dibs if they recruit a non-sibling to play in the association. There are 128 players who did not buy out the 2018 volunteer requirement who are not board members.  These people may have already completed their hours or may have siblings, which would reduce the total number of Dibs needed to ensure all families can complete their 2018 requirement.  A blanket email should go to the association to ask folks to fill Supervolunteer roles, including shadowing roles for parents whose kids are in their last year of the program.  WHO WILL DO THIS?

Fields:  No report

Pink moved to adjourn. Johnson seconded.  Meeting adjourned 8:41 pm.

Next meeting: Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 7:00 at Mosquito.